The study of genetic susceptibility to respiratory diseases such as asthma, COPD and cystic fibrosis is hoped to increase understanding of the development of these conditions and identify new therapeutic targets.
Genetic susceptibility to respiratory disease, asthma, COPD, cystic fibrosis
My research program is based on the investigation of the genetic susceptibility to inflammatory lung diseases. These studies will extend current knowledge of inherited factors that affect susceptibility to respiratory disease as well as disease severity and progression. Variants in genes which modulate the severity and progression of disease may be identified and this knowledge could be used to structure therapy to better address given subsets of patients. Knowing which genes and variants are responsible for the marked heterogeneity in disease susceptibility and severity may suggest novel avenues for future therapies.
Link to Google Scholar
- Canadian Lung Association/MRC Fellowship
- Astra-MRC/PMAC Health Program Fellowship
- Parker B. Francis Fellowship
- Tier 2 Canada Research Chair, CRC – Canadian Foundation for Innovation Award
- Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research Scholar Award
- Martin M. Hoffman Award for Excellence in Research
- Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research Senior Scholar Award.