Our group is interested in finding biomarkers and mechanisms of how lung disease leads to atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease and why females have increased risk of chronic obstructive airways disease.
COPD, inflammation, biomarkers, mechanisms, gender
Our laboratory is involved in several projects to improve the lives of patients with chronic lung disease. First, it is now well known most patients with chronic lung disease die from lung cancer and heart disease (rather than respiratory failure). Our group is using latest molecular techniques (e.g. proteomics, genomics, imaging studies) to come up with easy blood tests, which can be used to help physicians to identify patients at very high risk of heart disease and lung cancer BEFORE they actually develop the disease. Second, we are interested in why women when they smoke are more likely to develop COPD than male smokers. We are using cutting edge optical techniques (i.e. micro-cameras) in human subjects and in animals to determine the mechanisms for this, so that we can come up with new drug targets to treat patients with COPD.
Selected from a list of 218
- Yee J, Sadar MD, Sin DD, Kuzyk M, Xing L, Kondra J, McWilliams A, Man SF, Lam S. Connective tissue-activating peptide III: a novel blood biomarker for early lung cancer detection. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2009;27:2787-92.
- Tan WC, Lo C, Jong A, Xing L, FitzGerald MJ, Vollmer WM, Buist AS, Sin DD. Marijuana and chronic obstructive lung disease-a population based study. Canadian Medical Association Journal 2009;180:814-20.
- Sin DD, Tashkin D, Zhang X, Radner F, Sjobring U, Thoren A, Calverley PM, Rennard SI. Budesonide and the risk of pneumonia: a meta-analysis of individual patient data. Lancet 2009;374:712-9.
- Kido T*, Tamagawa E*, Bai N, Suda K*, Yan HC, Li Y, Chiang G, Yatera K, Mukae H, Sin DD, Van Eeden SF. Particulate matter induces IL-6 translocation from the lung to the systemic circulation. American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology 2011; 44: 197-204.
- Hill J, Heslop C, Man SFP, Frohlich J, Connett JE, Anthonisen NR, Wise RA, Tashkin DP, Sin DD. Circulating surfactant protein-D and the risk of cardiovascular morbidity and mortality. European Heart Journal 2011;32:1918-25
- Sin DD, Miller B, Duvoix A, Man SFP, Zhang X, Silverman EK, Connett JE, Anthonisen NR, Wise RA, Tashkin D, Celli BR, Edwards L, Locantore N, MacNee W, Tal-Singer R, Lomas DA. Serum PARC/CCL-18 concentrations and health outcomes in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 2011;183:1187-1192.
- Coxson HO, Eastwood PR, Williamson JP, Sin DD. Phenotyping airways disease with optical coherence tomography. Respirology 2011;16:34-43.
- McDonough JE, Yuan R, Suzuki M, Seyednejad N, Elliott M, Sanchez PG, Wright AC, Gefter WB, Litzky L, Coxson HO, Pare PD, Sin DD, Pierce RA, Woods JC, McWilliams A, Mayo JR, Lam SC, Cooper JD, Hogg JC. The relationship between small airway obstruction and emphysematous destruction in COPD. New England Journal of Medicine 2011;365(17):1567-1575.
Canada Research Chair 2004-2014; operating grants from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (2002-present); operating grants from the US National Institutes of Health (2008-present).