We have the ability to support breathing for many people who have weakened breathing muscles; my interest is to optimize this support and to investigate into best practice and improvement in health related quality of life
Respiratory neuromuscular disorders, Home mechanical ventilation, COPD, Diaphragmatic pacing.
My main areas of research are the study of the respiratory muscles and the control of breathing. The overall research direction is towards understanding how the respiratory muscles, especially the diaphragm, contract under various imposed conditions. The research therefore also involves the control of breathing as the patterns of diaphragmatic contraction are controlled by neural pathways.
- Mathur S, Shee AW, Road JD, Reid WD. Delayed onset muscle soreness after inspiratory threshold loading in healthy adults. In Press Cardiopulmonary Physical Thereapy. March 2010.
- Miller C, McMullin B, Ghaffari A, Stenzler A, Pick N, Roscoe D, Ghahary A, Road J, Av-Gay Y. Gaseous nitric oxide bactericidal activity retained during intermittent high dose short duration exposure. Nitric Oxide 20:16-23, 2009.
- Miller C, McMullin B, Rimkus M, Stenzler A, Av-Gay Y, Road J. Methemoglobin production in normal adults inhaling intermittent high concentrations of nitric oxide Respiratory Care. In Press 2009.
- Onders R, Elmo M, Khansarinia S, Bowman B, Yee J, Road J et al. Complete worldwide operative experience in laparoscopic diaphragm pacing: results and differences in spinal cord injured patients and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis patients. Surg Endosc 23(7): 1433-43, 2009.
- Roig M, Eng J, Road J, Reid WD. Falls in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: a call for further research. Respiratory Medicine In press 2009.
- Al Talag A, Road J. Non-pharmacological management of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. BC Medical Journal Vol 50 No 2, March 2008.
- Camp PG, Chaudry M, Platt H, Roche M, Road J et al. The sex factor: Epidemiology and management of COPD in British Columbia. Can Respir J. 15,8:417-422, 2008.
- Road J. Repatriation, or the road to home ventilation. Can Respir J Vol 15 Suppl C, 2008.
- Aaron SD, Vandemnheenm KL, Ferguson DF, Maltais F, Road J et al. Tiotropium in combination with placebo, Salmeterol, or Fluticasone-Salmeterol for treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Ann. Intern. Med. 146:545-555, 2007.
- Guenette JA, Witt JD, MacKenzie DC, Road JD, Sheel AW. Respiratory mechanics during exercise in endurance trained men and women. J. Physiol. 581.3:1309-1322, 3 2007.
- Mathur S, MacIntyre DL, Forster BB, Levy RD, Road JD, Reid WD. Preservation of eccentric torque of the knee extensors and flexors in people with COPD. Journal of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation 27(6):411-6, 2007.
- O’Donnell DE, Aaron S, Bourbeau J, Hernandez P, Road J et al. Canadian Thoracic Society recommendations for management of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease – 2007 update. Can. Respir. J. 14(suppl B):5B-32B, 2007.
- Reid WD, Sharma A, Elliott WM, Davies JE, Road JD. Diaphragm morphology post mortem in people with acute and chronic respiratory disease. Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy 18(2): 1-12, 2007.
- Miller JD, Mathener R, Goldsmith C, Goeree R, Road J. A randomized clinical trial of lung volume reduction surgery versus best medical care for patients with advanced emphysema. Am J of Thor Surg. 81:314-21, 2006.
- Scott A, Wang X, Road JD, Reid WD. Increased injury and intramuscular collagen of the diaphragm in COPD: Autopsy observations. Eur Resp J. 27:51-59, 2006.