My aim is to advance knowledge on the pathophysiology of acute pulmonary thromboembolism, specifically on the understanding of its mechanisms for hypoxemia and pulmonary hypertension.
Pulmonary circulation, Pulmonary embolism, Gas exchange, Regional blood flow, Fluorescent microspheres
After acute pulmonary embolism, e.g. after a long flight or recovering from surgery, patients often suffer from lack of oxygen and low blood pressure that can be life threatening. Through research, we now understand that underlying problems are related to the abnormal distribution of blood flow in the lung caused by the obstructing blood clots, resulting in its heterogeneous matching to the oxygen supply through the airway and the failure of the heart to pump blood through the blocked and constricting pulmonary vessels.
- Tsang JY, Hogg JC. Gas exchange and pulmonary hypertension following acute pulmonary thromboembolism. Pul Circ 2014 4: 220-236.
- Tsang JY, Lamm WJE. Estimation of endothelin-mediated vasoconstriction in acute pulmonary thromboembolism. Pul Circ 2012; 2: 67-74.
- Tsang JY. The DNR order: what does it mean? Clin Med Insights: Circulatory, Respiratory and Pulmonary Med 2010; 4: 15 -22.
- Tsang JY, Lamm WJE, Swenson ER. Regioinal CO2 tension quantitatively mediates homeostatic redistribution of ventilation following acute pulmonary thromboembolism in pigs. J Appl Physiol 2009; 107: 755-762.
- Tsang JY, Lamm WJE, Neradilek, B, Polissar, N, Hlastala MP. The unpredictable effect of changing cardiac output on hypoxemia after acute pulmonary thromboembolism. Clinical Medicine: Circulatory and Pulmonary 2008; 2:73-84.
- Tsang JY, Lamm WJE, Hlastala MP. Endothelin receptor blockade does not improve hypoxemia following acute pulmonary thromboembolism. J Appl Physiol 2007; 102:762-771.
- Tsang JY, Lamm WJE, Starr IR, Hlastala MP. Spatial pattern of ventilation perfusion mismatch following acute pulmonary thromboembolism in pigs. J Appl Physiol 2005; 98:1862-1898.
Research Grants: From BC Heart and Stroke Foundation and BC Lung Association over the years