microbiology, virology, parasitology, Infectious Diseases
My laboratory is concerned with host defense against intracellular infection and how intracellular microbes disrupt cellular functions to favor their survival. Because of our interest in the role of macrophages in host defense, one focus of the laboratory is to identify pathways that regulate cell activation is response to key agonists such as IFN-y and bacterial lipopolysaccharide. This research has led to the identification of novel signaling pathways that regulate macrophage function. The second major interest in the laboratory is to understand the strategies used by intracellular pathogens to effectively prevent macrophage activation. This research focuses on identifying the pathways and molecules in macrophages targeted by intracellular pathogens and the corresponding microbial virulence factors involved. Pathogens under study include, Leishmania donovani, M. tuberculosis and Salmonella.
Selected recent publications
- 1. Zoraghi, R., R. H. See, P. xerio-Cilies, N. S. Kumar, H. Gong, A. Moreau, M. Hsing, S. Kaur, R. D. Swayze, L. Worrall, E. Amandoron, T. Lian, L. Jackson, J. Jiang, L. Thorson, C. Labriere, L. Foster, R. C. Brunham, W. R. McMaster, B. B. Finlay, N. C. Strynadka, A. Cherkasov, R. N. Young, and N. E. Reiner. 2011. Identification of pyruvate kinase in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus as a novel antimicrobial drug target. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 55:2042.
- 2. Cherkasov, A., M. Hsing, R. Zoraghi, L. J. Foster, R. H. See, N. Stoynov, J. Jiang, S. Kaur, T. Lian, L. Jackson, H. Gong, R. Swayze, E. Amandoron, F. Hormozdiari, P. Dao, C. Sahinalp, O. Santos-Filho, P. xerio-Cilies, K. Byler, W. R. McMaster, R. C. Brunham, B. B. Finlay, and N. E. Reiner. 2011. Mapping the protein interaction network in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. J Proteome. Res. 10:1139.
- 3. Silverman, J. M., and N. E. Reiner. 2011. Exosomes and other microvesicles in infection biology: organelles with unanticipated phenotypes. Cell Microbiol. 13:1.
- 4. Silverman, J. M., J. Clos, E. Horakova, A. Y. Wang, M. Wiesgigl, I. Kelly, M. A. Lynn, W. R. McMaster, L. J. Foster, M. K. Levings, and N. E. Reiner. 2010. Leishmania exosomes modulate innate and adaptive immune responses through effects on monocytes and dendritic cells. J Immunol 185:5011.
- 5. Zoraghi, R., R. H. See, H. Gong, T. Lian, R. Swayze, B. B. Finlay, R. C. Brunham, W. R. McMaster, and N. E. Reiner. 2010. Functional analysis, overexpression, and kinetic characterization of pyruvate kinase from methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Biochemistry 49:7733.
- 6. Silverman, J. M., J. Clos, C. C. de’Oliveira, O. Shirvani, Y. Fang, C. Wang, L. J. Foster, and N. E. Reiner. 2010. An exosome-based secretion pathway is responsible for protein export from Leishmania and communication with macrophages. J Cell Sci. 123:842.
- 7. Reiner, N. E. 2009. Methods in molecular biology. Macrophages and dendritic cells. Methods and protocols. Preface. Methods Mol. Biol. 531:v-vi.
- 8. Lee, J. S., and N. E. Reiner. 2009. Stable lentiviral vector-mediated gene silencing in human monocytic cell lines. Methods Mol. Biol. 531:287.
- 9. Moeenrezakhanlou, A., L. Shephard, L. Lam, and N. E. Reiner. 2008. Myeloid cell differentiation in response to calcitriol for expression CD11b and CD14 is regulated by myeloid zinc finger-1 protein downstream of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase. J Leukoc. Biol. 84:519.
- 10. Moeenrezakhanlou, A., D. Nandan, and N. E. Reiner. 2008. Identification of a calcitriol-regulated Sp-1 site in the promoter of human CD14 using a combined western blotting electrophoresis mobility shift assay (WEMSA). Biol. Proced. Online. 10:29.
- 11. Silverman, J. M., S. K. Chan, D. P. Robinson, D. M. Dwyer, D. Nandan, L. J. Foster, and N. E. Reiner. 2008. Proteomic analysis of the secretome of Leishmania donovani. Genome Biol. 9:R35.
- 12. Lee, J. S., W. M. Nauseef, A. Moeenrezakhanlou, L. M. Sly, S. Noubir, K. G. Leidal, J. M. Schlomann, G. Krystal, and N. E. Reiner. 2007. Monocyte p110alpha phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase regulates phagocytosis, the phagocyte oxidase, and cytokine production. J Leukoc. Biol. 81:1548.
- 13. Nandan, D., M. Lopez, F. Ban, M. Huang, Y. Li, N. E. Reiner, and A. Cherkasov. 2007. Indel-based targeting of essential proteins in human pathogens that have close host orthologue(s): discovery of selective inhibitors for Leishmania donovani elongation factor-1alpha. Proteins 67:53.
- 14. Noubir, S., J. S. Lee, and N. E. Reiner. 2006. Pleiotropic effects of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase in monocyte cell regulation. Prog. Nucleic Acid Res. Mol. Biol. 81:51.
- 15. Leon, C., D. Nandan, M. Lopez, A. Moeenrezakhanlou, and N. E. Reiner. 2006. Annexin V associates with the
MS Hoffman Award for Research Excellence – UBC Dept of Med – 2011
Scientific Achievement Research Award – VCHA – 2008
IzaakWalton Killam Memorial Faculty Research Fellowship – UBC – 1998
Visiting Research Scholar Award – University of Melbourne – 1998
Henry Christian Award for Excellence in Research – American Federation for Clinical Research – 1991