I hope to better understand etiologies and treatment of
women with ongoing signs and symptoms of ischemia but no obstructive
coronary artery disease.
Women and heart disease, microvascular disease, coronary vasospasm, spontaneous coronary artery dissection
My research concentrates on women with ongoing chest pain but no obstructive coronary artery disease. In particular, I am examining future therapies, diagnostic techniques and prognosis in women with microvascular angina, coronary vasospasm and spontaneous coronary artery dissection.
- Sedlak T. This changed my practice: myocardial infarction in women without obstructive coronary artery disease. Thischangedmypractice.com 2014.
- Sedlak T, Izadnegahdar M, Humphries KH, and Bairey Merz C. Sex specific factors in microvascular angina. Canadian Journal of Cardiology 2014. Epub.
- Shufelt CL, Thomson LE, Goykhman P, Agarwal M, Mehta PK, Sedlak T, Li N, Gill E, Samuels B, Azabal
- B, Kar S, Kothawade K, Minissian M, Slomka P, Berman DS, Bairey Merz CN. Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging myocardial perfusion reserve index assessment in women with microvascular coronary dysfunction and reference controls. Cardiovasc Diagn Ther 2013;3(3):153-160.
- Sedlak T, Izadnegahdar M, Lee M, Gao M, Bairey Merz C and Humphries KH. Clinical outcomes in patients with stable angina and no obstructive coronary disease on coronary angiogram. American Heart Journal. 2013;166:38-44.
- Sedlak T, Johnson BD, Pepine CJ, Reis SE, and Bairey Merz CN. Brachial artery constriction during brachial artery reactivity testing predicts major adverse clinical outcomes in women with suspected myocardial ischemia: results from the NHLBI-sponsored women’s ischemia syndrome evaluation (WISE) study. PLoS One 2013;9:e74585.
- Sedlak T, Shufelt C, Iribarren C, Lyons L, and Bairey Merz CN. Oral contraceptive use and the ECG: Evidence of an adverse effect on the corrected QT interval. Annals of Noninvasive Electrocardiology Journal. 2013;18:389-98.
- Sedlak T, Bairey Merz CN, Shufelt C, Gregory KD, and Hamilton M. Contraception in patients with heart failure: Clinician Update. Circulation; 2012;126:1396-1400.
- Sedlak T, Shufelt C, Iribarren C, and Bairey Merz CN. Sex hormones and the QT interval: a review. Journal of Women’s Health 2012; 21:933-41.
- Sarbaziha R, Sedlak T, Shufelt C, Mehta P, and Bairey Merz CN. Therapy for stable angina in women. Pharmacy and Therapeutics Journal 2012;37:400-404.
- Laksman ZW, Silversides CK, Sedlak T, Samman AM, Williams WG, Webb GD, and Liu PP. Valvular aortic stenosis as a major sequelae in patients with pre-existing subaortic stenosis changing spectrum of outcomes. J Am Coll Cardiol 2011;58:962-5.
- Sedlak T, Lam L, Starovoytov A, Fung A, and Saw, J. The effects of proton pump inhibitors on platelet inhibition by clopidogrel: a BRIEF-PCI Substudy. Canadian Journal of General Internal Medicine 2010;5:25-27.
- Sedlak T, Pu A, Aymong E, Gao M, Khan N, Quan H, and Humphries K. Gender differences in access to coronary angiography and revascularization following acute myocardial infarction: time trends from 1994 to 2003. Canadian Journal of Cardiology 2010;26:360-364.
- Sedlak T, Stafford S, Fok M and Wong R. Evaluation of resident attitudes and self-reported competencies in health advocacy. BMC Medical Education 2010;10:82.
- Sedlak T, Chandavimol M, Calleja A, Clark C, Edmonds M, Pu A, Humphries K, and Ignaszewski A. The ability of heart failure specialists to accurately predict NT-proBNP levels based on clinical assessment and a previous NT-proBNP measurement. The Open Cardiovascular Medicine Journal 2008; 2: 36-40.
- Sedlak T, Chandavimol M, and Straatman L. Cardiac transplantation: a temporary solution for Friedreich’s ataxia-induced dilated cardiomyopathy. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation 2004;23:1304-1306
Awarded from Vancouver General Hospital:
2014 Boehringer Ingelheim Scholar Award
– awarded as research salary support for a deserving individual in the first five years of their career
Awarded from the Cardiology Program at the University of British Columbia:
2011 Best Research Presentation at Cardiology Resident Research Day
-awarded to the top cardiology resident presentation at cardiology resident research day
2011 Outstanding Clinical Competence in Acute Care Cardiology (Senior Resident)
-awarded to the postgraduate senior resident in the cardiology training program who demonstrates proficiency and excellence in acute care cardiology
2009 Outstanding Clinical Competence in Acute Care Cardiology (Junior Resident)
-awarded to the postgraduate junior resident in the cardiology training program who demonstrates proficiency and excellence in acute care cardiology
2009 Best Research Presentation at Cardiology Resident Research Day
-awarded to the top cardiology resident presentation at cardiology resident research day
Awarded from the Canadian Society for Clinical Investigation Conference:
2008 The Canadian Association of Professors of Medicine Resident Research Award
-awarded for the top research project at the Canadian Society for Clinical Investigation Conference in Toronto, Ontario
Awarded from the Internal Medicine Program at the University of British Columbia:
2008 John H. Dirks Research Prize
-awarded to the Internal Medicine resident with the best research project presented at resident research day
2008 Outstanding Clinical Teaching by a Third Year Resident
-awarded for outstanding teaching in the Internal Medicine residency program
2008 Outstanding Service as a Chief Medical Resident
-awarded on behalf of providence health care for outstanding service as a Chief Medical Resident
2006 Best Poster Presentation by a First Year Resident at Resident Research Day
-awarded to the first year Internal Medicine resident with the best poster presentation at resident research day
2006 Top Quality Improvement Project
-awarded to the top first year Internal Medicine quality improvement group for an outstanding quality improvement project
Awarded from the University of British Columbia:
2005 Hamber Gold Medal in Medicine
-awarded to the graduating medical student with the highest cumulative academic standing over the four years of undergraduate medicine
2005 Victor Hertzman Memorial Prize in Cardiology
-awarded to a student in the graduating year of the Doctor of Medicine program who has demonstrated interest and achievement in Cardiology,made on the recommendation of the Division of Cardiology in the Faculty of Medicine
2005 Frosst Medical Scholarship
-awarded to the student with the highest academic standing in the field of Pharmacology and Therapeutics
2004 Westbrook Scholar (Transcript Distinction)
Harry Logan Memorial Scholarship (Westbrook Scholar Monetary Award)
Harold B. and Nellie Boyes Memorial Scholarship (Westbrook Scholar
-awarded to a student in the third or fourth year of their program who has ranked, academically, in the top 10% of his faculty
-the student must have an interest and participation in sports; the ability to work with and lead others; and extensive participation in community activities
2004 Gwynne-Vaughan Memorial Award in Medicine
-awarded on the recommendation of the Dean of the Faculty of Medicine to a student with high academic achievement and outstanding personal qualities
2004 Alvin G. Fowler Memorial Award
-awarded to a student in any faculty at the University of British Columbia who has demonstrated personal growth and innovation
2004 Dr. Margaret Mullinger Prize in Paediatrics
-awarded to a student who demonstrates outstanding ability in Paediatrics during their clinical clerkship
2003 Jennie Gillespie Drennan Memorial Scholarship
-a full tuition scholarship for a female student in the Faculty of Medicine, awarded on the recommendation of the Dean and based on superior academic achievement
2003 Richard Owen Memorial Prize
-awarded to a University of British Columbia undergraduate student with outstanding personal qualities who has achieved high rank in the first two years of the Doctor of Medicine program
2002 Thomas R. Greer Memorial Scholarship
-awarded to a University of British Columbia medical student or graduate student who demonstrates outstanding academic achievement, with preference given to students from the Okanagan Valley
2002 University of British Columbia General Undergraduate Scholarship
-awarded to a University of British Columbia student who demonstrates academic excellence
2002 Kelowna Medical Society Bursary
-awarded to a University of British Columbia undergraduate medical student (born in the Okanagan) with high academic achievement
Awarded from the University of Alberta:
2001- The University of Alberta “Top of the Class” Scholarship
1997 -recognized as being one of the top 25 students entering in the 1997-1998 year
-awarded a four-year full academic scholarship
2001 Dean’s Silver Medal in Science:
-awarded annually to students enrolled in an Honors program who have demonstrated superior academic achievement
2000 – 1997: University of Alberta Faculty of Science Undergraduate Scholarships (awarded four times)
-awarded to a student with superior academic achievement in the Faculty of Science
1997 Henry Kreisel Memorial Honor Scholarship
-awarded to an undergraduate student entering the University of Alberta (on the basis of superior academic achievement)
2013 Sedlak T, Humphries KH, Saw J. The effects of Statin and Angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor on coronary Flow reserve, index of microcirculatory Resistance, and symptoms in patients with Spontaneous Coronary Artery Dissection (SAFER-SCAD) study. Winner of VGH Division of Cardiology Research Funds 2013 ($50,000)