By improving how cancer care is delivered to marginalized populations and enhancing the follow-up that current cancer patients receive, I hope that my research will allow more cancer patients to become long-term cancer survivors.
cancer disparities and cancer survivorship
My primary interest is health services research in oncology, especially large, population-based research projects that aim to ensuring equitable access to cancer care across all socio-demographic groups, enhancing delivery of new and more effective treatments to the marginalized subsets of the population, and promoting the long-term health among cancer survivors. I work closely with health administrative datasets and a variety of survey instruments to answer relevant clinical research questions. Most recently, I conducted analyses showing that expectations for follow-up care between cancer survivors and their physicians were highly discordant and how this discrepancy poses a negative impact on patient outcomes. I am currently evaluating a number of interventions to improve on the care and quality of life for these cancer survivors.
- Ho MY, Lai JY, Cheung WY. The influence of physicians on colorectal cancer screening behavior. Cancer Causes Control. 2011 Dec;22(12):1659-68.
- Cheung WY, Butler JR, Kliewer EV, Demers AA, Musto G, Welch S, Sivananthan G, Navaratnam S. Analysis of wait times and costs during the peri-diagnostic period for non-small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer. 2011 Apr;72(1):125-31.
- Cheung WY, Neville BA, Earle CC. Associations among cancer survivorship discussions, patient and physician expectations, and receipt of follow-up care. J Clin Oncol. 2010 May 20;28(15):2577-83.
- Cheung WY, Neville BA, Earle CC. Etiology of delays in the initiation of adjuvant chemotherapy and their impact on outcomes for Stage II and III rectal cancer. Dis Colon Rectum. 2009 Jun;52(6):1054-63.
- Cheung WY, Pond GR, Heslegrave RJ, Enright K, Potanina L, Siu LL. The quality of informed consent documents for phase I, II, and III oncology clinical trials. Am J Clin Oncol 2009 Oct; [Epub ahead of print].
- Cheung WY, Le LW, Zimmermann C. The prevalence of symptom clusters in patients with advanced cancer. Supportive Care Cancer 2009 Sep; 17(9):1223-30.
- Cheung WY, Zhai R, Kulke MH, Heist RS, Asomaning K, Ma C, Wang Z, Su L, Lanuti M, Tanabe KK, Christiani DC, Liu G. Epidermal growth factor A61G gene polymorphism, gastroesophageal reflux disease and esophageal adenocarcinoma risk. Carcinogenesis 2009 Aug; 30(8):1363-7.
- Cheung WY, Fishman PN, Chung J, Vijayaratnam S, Verma S. Quality of oncology education in Canadian undergraduate and postgraduate training programs. J Cancer Education 2009; 24(4):284-90.
- Cheung WY, Neville BA, Cameron D, Cook E, Earle CC. Comparisons of patient and physician expectations for cancer Survivorship Care. J Clin Oncol 2009 May; 27(15):2489-95.
- Cheung WY, Hwang D, Chung TB, Johnston MR, Leighl NB. The impact of systemic therapy versus surgery on outcomes for multifocal bronchioloalveolar carcinoma. Clin Lung Cancer 2009 May; 10(3):187-92.
- Cheung WY, Liu G. Genetic variations in esophageal cancer risk and prognosis. Gastroenterol Clin North Am 2009 Mar; 38(1):75-91, viii.
- Cheung WY, Barmala N, Zarinehbaf S, Le LW, Rodin G, Zimmermann C. Association of physical and psychological symptom burden with time to death among palliative cancer outpatients. J Pain Symptom Manage 2009 Mar; 37(3):297-304.
- Cheung WY, Fralick RA, Cheng S. The confused cancer patient – a case of 5-fluorouracil induced encephalopathy. Curr Oncol; 2008 Oct; 15(5):234-6.
- Cheung WY, Brierley J, Mackay HJ. Treatment of rectal cancer metastases to the thyroid gland: report of 2 cases. Clin Colorectal Cancer 2008 Jul; 7(4):280-2.
- Cheung WY, Pond GR, Rother M, Krzyzanowska M, Brierley J, Swallow C, Kaizer L, Myers J, Hajra L, Siu LL. Adherence to surveillance guidelines following curative resection for stage II and III colorectal cancer. Clin Colorectal Cancer 2008 May; 7(3):191-6.
- Cheung WY, Bellas J. Fusobacterium – an elusive cause of life-threatening septic thromboembolism. Can Fam Physician 2007 Sep; 53(9):1451-3.
- Cheung WY, Seftel M, Bernstein K, Schacter B, Greenberg C. Type I Gaucher’s disease with nephrotic syndrome following therapy for light chain multiple myeloma. Intern Med 2007 Aug; 46(15):1255-8.
- Cheung WY, Demers A, Hossain D, Owen T, Ahmed S, Czaykowski P. Management patterns in testicular cancer: a population-based cohort study. Can J Urol 2007 Jun; 14(3):3542-50.
- Cheung WY. Bilateral leg swelling as the initial and predominant presentation of HIV and associated pulmonary arterial hypertension. AIDS Patient Care STDS 2007 May; 21(5):293-6.
- Cheung WY, Bellas J. Lemierre’s syndrome presenting with fever and pharyngitis. Am Fam Physician 2007 Apr; 75(7):979-80.
- Cheung WY. An incidental finding of occult HIV infection. South Med J 2006 Nov; 99(11):1307-8.
- Cheung WY. Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura and systemic lupus erythematosus – distinct entities or overlapping syndromes. Transfus Apher Sci 2006 Jun; 34(3):263-6.
National Cancer Institute of Canada Dorothy Lamont Award; Novartis Oncology Young Canadian Investigator Award; Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer New Investigator Award; American Society of Clinical Oncology Merit Award.