Types of Appointments
There are different types of ranks a faculty member can hold at the University. To determine which rank is most appropriate for a new hire, please refer to the Faculty of Medicine’s Faculty Appointment Matrix.
Once a rank is determined, the steps and timelines for an appointment is based on the type of appointment. Please see below for flow charts which outline approximately how long each type of appointment will take to process. Please note that these are only guidelines and each appointment is reviewed on a case by case basis.
- Flow Chart for Associate Professor and Professor
- Flow Chart for Assistant Professor
- Flow Chart for Partner Stream Associate Professor and Professor
- Flow Chart for Partner Stream Assistant Professor
- Flow Chart Clinical Professor
- Flow Chart Clinical Instructors, Clinical Assistant Professors, Clinical Associate Professors
- Flow Chart for Associate Member or Associate Member External
- Flow Chart for Adjunct Professors, Honourary Professors and Affiliate Professors
- Clinical Fellow Appointment Checklist
- Clinical Fellow Re-appointment Checklist
- Clinical Fellow Leaving Checklist
- Letter to CPSBC – Registration Request
- Email to Clinical Fellow
- Letter of Invitation – Paid
- Letter of Invitation – Unpaid/Self-funded
- Offer Letter – Paid
- Offer Letter – Unpaid/Self-funded
The Teaching Dossier is an important component of the promotion/reappointment process. It allows the Department’s Academic Appointments, Reappointments, Promotion and Tenure (AARPT) Committee to see, at a glance, your contribution to the educational program(s) within the UBC Department of Medicine. It is meant to summarize your teaching accomplishments without replacing the teaching component of your CV.
The Department of Medicine has created a teaching dossier instruction manual, teaching dossier template, and supplemental evaluation form for use. In order to have consistency, the Department requires that only this teaching dossier template be used.
All faculty in the Department who are being considered for promotion are expected to submit a completed Department of Medicine Teaching Dossier and include teaching evaluations. Please note that the details of your teaching history must also be listed in your UBC format CV.
- Department of Medicine – Teaching Dossier Instruction Manual
- Department of Medicine Teaching Dossier Template (Updated November 2014)
- Department of Medicine Sample Teaching Dossier (Updated November 2014)
- Department of Medicine Sample Teaching Dossier with Explanations (Updated November 2014)
- Deparment of Medicine Supplemental Evaluation Form
Questions about your UBC Department of Medicine Teaching Dossier can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Clinical Offer Letters
Clinical Faculty Offer Letter Template at Vancouver General Hospital (VGH) and/or St. Paul’s Hospital (SPH).
Steps: The process for creating a clinical faculty offer letter at VGH and/or SPH is below.
- Division Head indicates need to hire a clinician at VGH and/or SPH who will be a clinical faculty member at UBC.
- Division Administrator uses the clinial faculty template and fills in the blanks of all relevant sections.
- Division Administrator gets draft reviewed by Division Head(s) at UBC, VGH and/or SPH.
- Division Administrator emails offer draft to HR Assistant.
- HR Assistant will review draft and will have Department Heads at UBC, VGH and/or SPH and Medical Affairs personnel at VGH & SPH review draft.
- Once everyone is in agreement with content, HR Assistant will print letter on Departmental Letterhead and will have Dr. Graydon Meneilly, Head – Department of Medicine, sign off.
- HR Assistant will give offer letter to Division Administrator. The Division Administrator will obtain rest of signatures.
- Division Administrator sends letter to candidate to sign.
- Candidate returns signed copy to the Division.
- Division Administrator circulates copy of the signed letter to all signatories for their records (emailed PDF is quickest). Please copy HR Assistant for Dr. Graydon Meneilly.