The Department of Medicine Equity Committee was created in 2009 to support the Department by monitoring and providing advice about matters that address issues of equity in the Department. Due to gender imbalance in both junior faculty and leadership positions in the Department, the current focus of the committee is gender equity. However, the Committee is open to reviewing equity in other areas (sexual orientation, ethnicity, religious affiliation, disability).
Terms of Reference
The committee is advisory to the Department Head and the Associate Head, Academic Affairs, and is expected to support the Department Head in all aspects of the role, including but not limited to:
- To monitor the Department’s policies and practices in regards to equity issues and advise the Department Head of any practices which are perceived as discriminatory.
- To develop equity guidelines for the Department.
- To educate senior leadership on equity.
- To support and sponsor events and programs designed to foster equity in the Department.
- To promote appropriate change by initiating and participating in discussions designed to further equity in the Department.
At this time the primary focus of the Committee is gender equity.
Mandate and Role
The committee will meet quarterly. The committee will be supported by the Administrative Coordinator to the Department Head.
All committee members are expected to:
- Attend a minimum of four meetings each year. Attendance by teleconference is acceptable.
- Participate in meetings with a focus on developing, implementing and evaluating strategies to optimize equity and diversity.
- Provide input into the completion of these tasks.
- Participate in the dissemination of results of initiatives.
Equity Committee Members as of September 2021
|Dr. D. Fast||Social Medicine||Assistant Professor|
|Dr. N. Khan||General Internal Medicine||Professor|
|Dr. D. Lacaille||Rheumatology||Chair; Professor|
|Dr. H. Leitch||Hematology||Clinical Associate Professor|
|Dr. Y. Leung||Gastroenterology||Clinical Associate Professor|
|Dr. G. Meneilly||Geriatric Medicine||Professor|
|Dr. A. Palepu||General Internal Medicine||Eric W. Hamber Professor and Chair of Medicine|
|Dr. A. Townson||Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation||Clinical Professor and Associate Head, Education|
|D. Combs||Administration||Academic Administrator to the Department Head|
|M. Liu||Administration||Director of Administration|
The DoM Equity Committee focuses on equity for faculty members and medical residents. If you are a staff member and have questions or concerns about equity, please contact Mary Liu, Director of Administration, Department of Medicine.