The study of genetic susceptibility to respiratory diseases such as asthma, COPD and cystic fibrosis is hoped to increase understanding of the development of these conditions and identify new therapeutic targets.
Genetic susceptibility to asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, obstructive sleep apnea and food allergy. Modifier genes in cystic fibrosis
My research program is concerned with understanding the role that genetics plays in inflammatory lung diseases, including asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and cystic fibrosis. Identifying genetic risk factors and modifier genes may allow researchers to develop therapies to manipulate those genes. In addition, new therapies could be individually tailored to each patient based on their genetic profile.
1. Sandford AJ, Ha A, Ngan DA, Akhabir L, Saferali A, Fox N, Hirsch Allen AJ, Warby SC, van Eeden SF, Ayas NT. Adhesion molecule gene variants and plasma protein levels in patients with suspected obstructive sleep apnea. PLoS One. 2019;14: e0210732.
2. Asai Y, Eslami A, van Ginkel CD, Akhabir L, Wan M, Ellis G, Ben-Shoshan M, Martino D, Ferreira MA, Allen K, Mazer B, de Groot H, de Jong NW, Gerth van Wijk RN, Dubois AEJ, Chin R, Cheuk S, Hoffman J, Jorgenson E, Witte JS, Melles RB, Hong X, Wang X, Hui J, Musk AWB, Hunter M, James AL, Koppelman GH, Sandford AJ, Clarke AE, Daley D. Genome-wide association study and meta-analysis in multiple populations identifies new loci for peanut allergy and establishes c11orf30/EMSY as a genetic risk factor for food allergy. J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 2018;141:991-1001.
3. Asai Y, Eslami A, van Ginkel CD, Akhabir L, Wan M, Yin D, Ellis G, Ben-Shoshan M, Marenholz I, Martino M, Ferreira MA, Allen K, Mazer B, de Groot H, de Jong NW, Gerth van Wijk R, Dubois AEJ, Grosche S, Ashley S, Rüschendorf F, Kalb B, Beyer K, Nöthen MM, Lee Y-A, Chin R, Cheuk S, Hoffman J, Jorgensen E, Witte JS, Melles RB, Hong X, Wang X, Hui J, Musk AWB, Hunter M, James AL, Koppelman GH, Sandford AJ, Clarke AE, Daley D. A Canadian genome-wide association study and meta-analysis confirm HLA as a risk factor for peanut allergy independent of asthma. J. Allergy Clin. Immunol. 2018;141:1513-1516.
4. Tang AC, Saferali A, He G, Sandford AJ, Strug LJ, Turvey SE. Endoplasmic reticulum stress and chemokine production in cystic fibrosis airway cells: Regulation by STAT3 modulation. J. Infect. Dis. 2017;215:293-302.
5. Saferali A, Obeidat M, Bérubé J-C, Lamontagne M, Bossé Y, Laviolette M, Hao K, Nickle DC, Timens W, Sin DD, Postma DS, Strug LJ, Gallins PJ, Paré PD, Bingle CD, Sandford AJ. Polymorphisms associated with expression of BPIFA1/BPIFB1 and lung disease severity in cystic fibrosis. Am. J. Respir. Cell Mol. Biol. 2015;53:607-614.
- Parker B. Francis Fellowship
- Tier 2 Canada Research Chair, CRC – Canadian Foundation for Innovation Award
- Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research Scholar Award
- Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research Senior Scholar Award.
British Columbia Lung Association Grant-in-Aid (2017-2019)