The long term goal of my research work is to improve our ability to accurately predict future development of age-related cardiovascular problems, such as heart failure and stroke, and develop interventions to prevent these events.
Epidemiology and pathophysiology of atrial fibrillation; application of advanced echocardiographic techniques for prediction of pre-clinical cardiovascular disease
Our research program is principally focused on physiologic and pathophysiologic aging of the cardiovascular system, and the prediction and prevention of adverse age-related cardiovascular events, including atrial fibrillation heart failure, stroke, and cognitive dysfunction. We have been investigating the use of advanced echocardiographic techniques to detect changes in the structure or function of individual heart chambers, and how these changes are associated with future development of disease.
I love sailing. I am a good basketball player. My greatest passion of all is writing.
- Healey JS, Parkash R, Pollak T, Tsang T and the CCS Atrial Fibrillation Guidelines Committee. Canadian Cardiovascular Society Atrial Fibrillation Guidelines 2010: Etiology and initial investigations. Can J Cardiol 2011;27:31-7.
- Blume GG, McLeod CJ, Barnes ME, Seward JB, Pellikka PA, Bastiansen PM, Tsang TSM. Left atrial function: physiology, assessment, and clinical implications. Eur J Echocardiogr 2011;12:421-30.
- Maisch B, Ristic AD, Seferovic PM and Tsang, TSM (2011) Interventional Pericardiology. Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag.
- Miyasaka Y, Tsang TSM. Mortality risk among middle-aged women with atrial fibrillation. JAMA 2011;305:2116-17.
- Casaclang-Verzosa G, Barnes ME, Blume G, Seward JB, Gersh BJ, Cha SS, Bailey KR, Tsang TSM. C-reactive protein, left atrial volume, and atrial fibrillation: a prospective study in high-risk elderly. Echocardiography 2010;27:394-99
- Tsang TSM. Echocardiography in cardiovascular public health: The American Society of Echocardiography 2008 Feigenbaum Lecture. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2009;22:649-56.
- Fatema K, Abhayaratna WP, Barnes ME, Miyasaka Y, Bailey KR, Seward JB, Tsang TSM. Minimal left atrial volume as a predictor of first atrial fibrillation/flutter in an elderly cohort. Eur J of Echocardiogr 2009; 10:282-6.
- Benjamin E, Chen P, Bild D, Mascette A, Albert C, Alonso A, Calkins H, Connolly S, Curtis A, Dawood D, Ellinor P, Go A, Goldschlager N, Heckbert S, Jalife J, Kerr C, Levy L, Lloyd-Jones D, Massie B, Nattel S, Olgin J, Packer D, Po S, Tsang TSM, Van Wagoner D, Waldo A, Wyse G. Prevention of atrial fibrillation: Report from an NHLBI Workshop. Circulation 2009; 119: 606-18.
- Fatema K, Gertz MA, Barnes ME, Eisinger AD, Ness SA, Gersh BJ, Micallef INM, Seward JB, Cha SS, Bailey KB, Tsang TSM. Acute weight gain and diastolic dysfunction as a potent risk complex for post stem cell transplant atrial fibrillation. Am J of Hematology 2009;84:499-503.
- Vianna-Pinton R, Moreno C, Lee K, Tsang T, Appleton C. Two-dimensional speckle-tracking echocardiography of the left atrium: feasibility and regional contraction and relaxation differences in normal subjects. J Am Soc Echo 2009; 22: 299-305.
- Silvestry FE, Kerber RE, Brook MM, Carroll JD, Eberman KM, Goldstein SA, Herrmann HC, Homma S, Mehran R, Packer DL, Parisi AF, Pulerwitz T, Seward JB, Tsang TS, Wood MA. Echocardiographically-guided interventions. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2009; 22:213-31
- Recipient of multiple research grants from the American Heart Association, American Society of Echocardiography, and U.S. National Institutes of Health.
- Previous recipient of a Clinician-Scientist Award from the Medical Research Council of Canada and Clinical Fellowship award from the Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research.