Terms of Reference
The Internal Medicine Undergraduate Education Committee (hereafter: “UEC”) is a monthly standing committee reporting to:
1. Associate Head Education, UBC Dept. of Medicine
2. the MD Undergraduate Year 3 & 4 Sub-Committee
3. the Years 3 & 4 VFMP Regional Student Promotions Committee (RSPC)
It is responsible for planning, implementing and evaluating the Year 3 Internal Medicine clerkship rotation and Year 4 electives across all four sites: Island Medical Program (IMP), Northern Medical Program (NMP), Southern Medical Program (SMP) and the Vancouver Fraser Medical Program (VFMP), (hereafter: “IM UG curriculum).
The UEC Terms of Reference will be reviewed annually and as needed by the committee and approved by the Associate Head Education, UBC Department of Medicine. Changes will be reported to the Associate Head Education, UBC Department of Medicine, the MD Undergraduate Years 3 and 4 Sub-Committees, as well as to the Years 3 and 4 Student Promotions Committee.
1. Prepare strategic and annual planning (deliverables, process, deadlines) that will be employed; and the implementation plan for delivering the IM UG curriculum in conjunction with Internal Medicine Site Leaders, Program Managers and Program Assistants.
2. Present reports and recommendations to the MD Undergraduate Year 3 Committee about the implementation and evaluation of the Year 3 Internal Medicine clerkship rotation and to the MD Undergraduate Year 4 Committee about Year 4 electives.
3. Ensure that Internal Medicine undergraduate education learning objectives are achievable and achieved across the distributed program.
4. Identify strategies to ensure that the IM UG curriculum delivery is comparable across the IMP, NMP, SMP and VFMP.
5. Ensure that the delivery of the IM UG curriculum is in compliance with the LCME standards and UBC policies.
6. Liaise with the Year 1 and Year 2 programs with Internal Medicine components to integrate and enhance Internal Medicine learning and to support these programs in faculty recruitment.
7. Maintain broad student representation from Years 3 and 4 in the IMP, NMP, SMP and VFMP.
8. Identify and discuss students in difficulty, determine final assessments and marks, and formulate remediation plans to present to the Years 3 and 4 Student Promotions Committee.
9. Define, plan and implement a comprehensive faculty development plan to support delivery of the IM UG curriculum.
10. Maintain and adapt a standardized teaching evaluation process across all sites.
11. Identify potential additional clinical teaching sites and make recommendations for the development of these sites to meet the numbers needed for Years 3 and Year 4 Internal Medicine.
12. Develop, co-develop or advise on pilot Year 3 and Year 4 clerkship rotations and ongoing clerkships as approved.
13. Define the resources required for program implementation and teaching of the IMP, NMP, SMP and VFMP and apply to the appropriate sources for budgeting.
14. Advocate for appropriate academic space and resources for each site by making recommendations to relevant committees.
15. Work collaboratively with the responsible groups to ensure:
a. Requirements for the program and course evaluation for the UG IM curriculum are met;
b. The plan for student assessment is consistent across sites;
c. Updates and requirements for MEDICOL are met;
d. Availability of AV-IT technology to support learning in the IM UG curriculum; and
e. Library and information resources are identified and provided.
Working groups may be established for specific components; the UEC will review these recommendations. The chairs of the working groups will be drawn from the UEC. Non-members may be invited to join these groups.
Meeting frequency and timeline:
Monthly or as required at the call of the Chair. Meetings will be based on the academic year, September – August. Voting by email may be necessary for urgent issues between meetings.
Quorum of voting members for this meeting is 5, with voting representation present from at least two sites.
Chair, Program Director
Associate Director, VFMP
Assessment Director, VFMP
Vancouver Fraser Medical Program (VFMP)
Chilliwack Site ICC Leader
Year 3 Internal Medicine Site Leader, Royal Columbian Hospital
Ambulatory Leader, RCH
Year 3 Internal Medicine Site Leader, St. Paul’s Hospital
Ambulatory leader, SPH
Year 3 Internal Medicine Site Leader, Vancouver Acute
Ambulatory leader, VA
Year 4 Director
Island Medical Program (IMP)
Year 3 Internal Medicine Leader
Duncan Site ICC Leader
Northern Medical Program (NMP)
Year 3 Internal Medicine Leader
Terrace Site ICC Leader
Fort St John Site ICC Leader
Southern Medical Program (SMP)
Year 3 Internal Medicine Leader, Kelowna
Year 3 Internal Medicine Leader, Kamloops
Trail Site ICC Leader
Vernon Site ICC Leader
One vote each of Year 3 Student Representative, IMP / NMP / SMP/VFMP
One vote each of Year 4 Student Representative, IMP / NMP / SMP/VFMP
B. Non-Voting (Consultants) & Corresponding Members:
Associate Head Education, UBC Department of Medicine
Director of Curriculum (Faculty of Medicine Undergraduate Dean’s Office)
Chilliwack Clerkship Coordinator
IMP, Program Manager
IMP, Assessment Coordinator
NMP, Program Manager
NMP, Assessment Coordinator
SMP, Program Manager
Terrace Clerkship Coordinator
VFMP, Program Manager
VFMP, Senior Program Assistant (Expansion)
VFMP, Program Coordinator (RCH)
VFMP, Senior Program Assistant (SPH)
VFMP, Senior Program Assistant (VA)
VFMP, Senior Program Assistant (Electives)