My clinical expertise is in management of cardiac arrhythmias. Current research interests include investigation of genetic causes of arrhythmias, causes of loss of consciousness and implantable arrhythmia device monitoring. I am affiliated with several professional associations including the American Heart Association Council on Cardiology, the Royal College of Physicians of Canada, the American College of Cardiology, the Canadian Cardiovascular Society and the Heart Rhythm Society (Present from 2009 – 2011).
Education and Affiliations
M.D. University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba ,
Publications and Awards
- Essebag V, Champagne J, Birnie DH, Verma A, Healey JS, Simpson CS, Kus T, Thibault B, Mangat I, Tung S, Sterns L, Exner DV, Davies T, Coutu B, Crystal E, Stephenson EA, Connors S, Paredes FA, Parkash R, Krahn AD. Nonphysiologic noise early after defibrillator implantation in Canada: Incidence and implications A report from the Canadian Heart Rhythm Society Device Committee. Heart Rhythm. 2012 Mar;9(3):378-82.
- Obeyesekere M, Gula LJ, Modi S, Leong-Sit P, Angaran P, Mechulan A, Skanes AC, Krahn AD, Yee R, Klein GJ. Tachycardia induction with ventricular extrastimuli differentiates atypical atrioventricular nodal reentrant tachycardia from orthodromic reciprocating tachycardia. Heart Rhythm. 2012 Mar;9(3):335-41.
- White JA, Fine NM, Gula L, Yee R, Skanes A, Klein G, Leong-Sit P, Warren H, Thompson T, Drangova M, Krahn A. Utility of cardiovascular magnetic resonance in identifying substrate for malignant ventricular arrhythmias. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2012Jan 1;5(1):12-20.
- Krahn AD, Healey JS, Simpson CS, Chauhan VS, Birnie DH, Champagne J, Gardner M, Sanatani S, Chakrabarti S, Yee R, Skanes AC, Leong-Sit P, Ahmad K, Gollob MH, Klein GJ, Gula LJ, Sheldon RS. Sentinel Symptoms in Patients with Unexplained Cardiac Arrest: From the Cardiac Arrest Survivors with Preserved Ejection Fraction Registry (CASPER). J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2012 Jan;23(1):60-66.
- Wong JA, Leong-Sit P, Skanes AC, Yee R, Gula LJ, Krahn AD, Klein GJ. Atrial Fibrillation Causing Syncope? Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2012: 35(1):104-5.
- Birnie DH, Parkash R, Exner DV, Essebag V, Healey JS, Verma A, Coutu B, Kus T, Mangat I, Ayala-Paredes F, Nery P, Wells G, Krahn AD. Clinical predictors of fidelis lead failure: report from the Canadian heart rhythm society device committee. Circulation.2012;125(10):1217-25.
- Brignole M, Menozzi C, Moya A, Andresen D, Blanc JJ, Krahn AD, Wieling W, Beiras X, Deharo JC, Russo V, Tomaino M, Sutton R. Pacemaker Therapy in Patients with Neurally-Mediated Syncope and Documented Asystole. Third International Study on Syncope of Uncertain Etiology (ISSUE-3): A Randomized Trial. Circulation. 2012.
- MacFadden DR, Crystal E, Krahn AD, Mangat I, Healey JS, Dorian P, Birnie D, Simpson CS, Khaykin Y, Pinter A, Nanthakumar K, Calzavara AJ, Austin PC, Tu JV, Lee DS. Sex differences in implantable cardioverter-defibrillator outcomes: findings from a prospective defibrillator database. Ann Intern Med. 2012;156:195-203.
- Manlucu J, Yee R, Skanes AC, Gardeski KC, Neidert MR, Kelley JF, Klein GJ, Krahn AD, Gula LJ, Leong-Sit P, Verard LG, Wu KT. Early patient experience with an electro-anatomic navigation system dedicated to device lead implantation: feasibility and safety. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2012;35:385-91.
- Gao P, Gula L, Yee R, Krahn AD, Skanes A, Leong-Sit P, Klein GJ, Stirrat J, Fine N, Pallaveshi L, Wisenberg G, Thompson TR, Prato F, Drangova M, White JA. Prediction of Arrhythmic Events in Ischemic and Dilated Cardiomyopathy Patients Referred for Implantable Cardiac Defibrillator: Evaluation of Multiple Scar Quantification Measures for Late Gadolinium Enhancement Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2012.
Awards & Recognition
- Continuing Professional Development Award, Acknowledgement of your contribution as a member of the Advisory Committee on CME (ACCME) (2009)
- Second Annual HUMEC Award (Hippocratic Council Undergraduate Medical Educational Committee), UWO/Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry, London, Ontario, Canada (2005 – 2006)
- The Edward G. Pleva Award for Excellence in Teaching (2009 – 2010)
- The Douglas Bocking Award for Excellence in Teaching for Undergraduate Medicine, Level (2008)