Teaching our next generation of physicians remains a crucial component of the Faculty of Medicine’s Strategic Plan, Building the Future. Our teachers inspire our learners and are the role models for the next generation of healthcare professionals. A UBC faculty appointment is a requirement for all teachers in the MD Undergraduate Program. For more information on clinical faculty appointments, visit the clinical faculty section on the Faculty of Medicine’s website.
Department of Medicine Formal Educational Activities (updated September 2022)
Consolidated UGME Teaching Opportunities
Division Head Onboarding Guide (updated February 2023)
Scenario Library for Teaching
You can visit the Scenario Library for Teaching at https://facdev.med.ubc.ca/scenario-library/ for more information.
To download the scenarios, which are housed in Teams, you will need to email email@example.com. The Office of Faculty Development will provide you with access.
This Introductory Resource focuses on onboarding new clinical faculty, however, experienced faculty may also find it informative.
- Mini-Modules for teaching with patient- care: These newly developed modules provide introductory faculty development for teaching in the clinical space using principles of an educational alliance. The Mini-modules with their direct links are as follows:
- Co-creating goals: Co-creating Mutual Goals: Forging an Educational Alliance – Overview | Rise 360 (articulate.com)
- Direct observation & feedback in the clinical setting: Direct Observation and Feedback in a Clinical Setting – Overview | Rise 360 (articulate.com)
- Clinical reasoning through collaborative questioning: Probing Clinical Reasoning Through Collaborative Questioning – Overview | Rise 360 (articulate.com) – Addresses avoiding public humiliation in the context of directed questioning.
- Reflection and feedback conversations: Reflection and Feedback Conversations – Overview | Rise 360 (articulate.com)
- Links to role-based training modules for teaching without patient care (e.g. small group facilitation, lectures, etc.)
- Links to resources for creating an inclusive environment
- An overview of the curriculum, assessment, and feedback to teachers:
- Links to important administrative information
You can access all these resources here: https://facdev.med.ubc.ca/welcome-to-the-faculty-of-medicine/