The Department of Medicine is home to a vibrant, diverse, and productive research community. As part of the largest department in the Faculty of Medicine, our faculty and their research groups consistently attract approximately 20% of the total research funding in the Faculty of Medicine, and 10% of the total at UBC.
Our members are global leaders in multiple fields including of AIDS, asthma, COPD and pulmonary disease, aortic valve implantation, cardiac disease and imaging, spinal cord injury, arthritis, neurology and nephrology.
Working across multiple sites, in over 30 different hospitals, research centres, and institutions across BC, our faculty are focused on excellence and improving patient health.
The Research Office was established in 2012 to enhance this culture of research. We work closely with support units at UBC, VCHRI and PHCRI to ensure our faculty are well-equipped to get their research off the ground smoothly and rapidly.
Our team can help with:
We work closely with UBC SPARC and VCHRI to provide grant development support and editorial review, as well as Faculty-wide one-on-one grant development sessions for major annual salary award competitions.
Pre- and Post-Award Administration
We can help guide you as you navigate the administrative side of research, provide signatures and departmental approvals, training on UBC systems and processes, and help you by liaising with UILO, ORS, CREB
Training, Education, and Collaboration
We host workshops, as well as our annual research day, and can connect graduate students and residents interested in research with opportunities in our department.
Our team compiles the funding and publication metrics for members of our department, and can provide this data for grant applications or reports.
UBC Department of Medicine
Gordon & Leslie Diamond Health Care Centre
2775 Laurel Street, 10th Floor, Room 10119
Vancouver, BC V5Z 1M9
Phone: 604 875 4111 ext 21503
Fax: 604 875 4886
- Departmental signature deadline is 6 business days before the external deadline (unless otherwise stated).
- Where possible, the DOM Research Office will endeavour to have a 48 hour turnaround policy for signatures. However, complex requests (i.e. support letters for salary awards, contract review requests for University Counsel) may require additional time. Please check with the DOM Research Office in advance if you have a complex request.
- Submit signature requests to firstname.lastname@example.org cc: Delaram Behnami in the Department of Medicine Research Office.
- Dr. Anita Palepu, Head Department of Medicine or Dr. Teresa Tsang, Associate Head of Research signs for DoM Research.
- Read more about getting signatures here