I hope to play a role in reducing health disparities and improve the cardiovascular health of diverse populations at risk.
Cardiovascular disease risk factors, vulnerable and diverse populations, community-based participatory research
Merging undergraduate inter-disciplinary and inter-professional teaching and learning with community-based participatory action research to improve the health of diverse populations at risk.
- Charlotte A Jones, Alykhan Nanji, Shefina Mawani, Shahnaz Davachi, Leanne Ross, Ardene Vollman, Sandeep Aggarwal, Kathryn King-Shier and Norman Campbell. Feasibility of community-based screening for cardiovascular disease risk in an ethnic community: The South Asian Cardiovascular Health Assessment and Management Program (SA-CHAMP). BMC Public Health. 13: 160, 2013. www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/13/160
- Mark Makowsky, Ally Prebtani; Mark Gelfer; Advaita Manohar; Charlotte Jones. Management of Hypertension in People with Diabetes Mellitus: Translating the 2012 Canadian Hypertension Education Program Recommendations into Practice. Canadian Journal of Diabetes, 2012. In press.
- Vishal P. Varshney, Tyrone Harrison, Michal Szymczakowski, Matthew Grossi, Charlotte Jones. Developing a Protocol for Medical Student-Organized Community-Based Hypertension Screening Programs. Int J Med Students. 2012;1(1):8-11.
- Jones CA, Mawani S, King KM, Allu SO, Smith M, Mohan S, Campbell NR. Tackling Health Literacy: adaptation of public hypertension educational materials for an Indo-Asian population in Canada. BMC Public Health 2011, 11:24
- Tamburrini AL, Woolcott CG, Boyd NF, Yaffe MJ, Terry T, Yasui Y, Jones CA, Patten SB, Courneya KS, Friedenreich CM. The relation between serum cholesterol and mammographic density as a risk factor for breast cancer. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. 2011 Jan. 125 (1):181-9.
- Friedenreich CM, Neilson H, Woolcott C, McTiernan A, Wang Q, Ballard-Barbash R, Jones CA, Stanczyk F, Brant, Yasui y, Irwin m, Campbell K, McNeely M, Karvinen K, Courneya K. Changes in insulin resistance indicators, insulin-like growth factors, and adipokines in a year-long trial of aerobic exercise in postmenopausal women. Endocrine-related Cancer 18: 357-369, 2011.
- Jones CA, Davachi S, Nanji A, Mawani S, Faris P, Wang X, King K, Lewanczuk R, Campbell N. Tackling Health Literacy: adaptation of public hypertension educational materials for an Indo-Asian population in Canada. BMC Public Health 2011, 11:24doi:10.1186/1471-2458-11-24.
- Friedenreich CM, Woolcott CG, McTiernan A, Terry T, Brant R, Ballard-Barbash R, Irwin ML, Jones CA, Boyd NF, Yaffe MJ, Campbell KL, McNeely ML, Karvinen KH, Courneya KS. Adiposity changes after a 1-year aerobic exercise intervention among postmenopausal women: a randomized controlled trial. Int J Obesity 2011, 35: 427-435.
- Qinggang Wang K, Courneya KS, Friedenreich CM, Woolcott CG, McTiernan A, Ballard-Barbash R, Brant RF, Stanczyk FZ, Terry T, Boyd NF, Yaffe MJ, Irwin ML, Jones CA, Yasui Y, Campbell KL, McNeely ML, Karvinen KH, Wang Q, Courneya KS. The Alberta Physical Activity and Breast Cancer Prevention Trial: Sex Hormone Changes in a Year-long Exercise Intervention among Postmenopausal Women. Journal of Clinical Oncology; 28(9):1458-66, 2010.
- Woolcott CG, Courneya KS, Boyd NF, Yaffe MJ, Terry T, McTiernan A, Brant R, Ballard-Barbash R, Irwin ML, Jones CA, Brar S, Campbell KL, McNeely ML, Karvinen KH, Friedenreich CM. Mammographic density changes with one year of aerobic exercise among postmenopausal women: a randomized controlled trial. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention. 19(4):1112-21,2010.
- Ho J, Sellers E, Dean H, Hadjiyannakis S, Mokashi A, Sauve R, Jones C, Pacaud D. Prevalence and Associated Risk Factors for Secondary Diabetes in Canadian Children. Canadian Journal of Diabetes. 34: (2), 107-112, 2010.
- Jones CA, Chow M, Ho I, Nguyen J, Perera A, Davachi. Homelessness and Cardiovascular Disease Risk: How Big a Problem is it and what is being done to solve it. Current Cardiology Reviews 5: 69-77, 2009.
- Jones C, Simpson SH, Mitchell D, Haggarty S, Campbell N, Then K, Lewanczuk RZ, Sebaldt RJ, Farrell B, Dolovich L, Kaczorowski J, Chambers LW. Enhancing Hypertension Awareness and Management in the Elderly: Lessons Learned from the Airdrie-Community Hypertension Awareness and Management Program (A-CHAMP). Canadian Journal of Cardiology 24: 561-567. 2008.
- McLean DL, McAlister FA, Johnson JA, King KM, Makowsky MJ, Jones CA, Tsuyuki RT; SCRIP-HTN Investigators. A randomized trial of the effect of community pharmacist and nurse care on improving blood pressure management in patients with diabetes: SCRIP-HTN.Arch Intern Med. 2008 Nov 24;168(21):2355-61
- Accreditation Canada, Joint award: Stroke Services Distinction Award – Health Promotion Disease Prevention Pillar of Calgary Stroke Program, Canada (2010)
- Blood Pressure Canada, Certificate of Excellence, 2006
- George Fodor Award, Prevention and Control of Hypertension in Canada, 2001
- Entrance Award, Nat Christie Medical School, 1986 – 1989
- AHFMR, Post-Doctoral Fellowship (Oncology Research), 1982 – 1986