- Psoriatic arthritis
Dr. Chan is an Adult Rheumatologist and Clinical Investigator with Arthritis Research Canada. He has a clinical focus and research interest in the areas of axial spondyloarthritis and psoriatic arthritis. His research focuses on early identification, long term outcomes, radiographic progression, and use of administrative databases. He is involved in the SPARCC and iPART longitudinal cohorts which follow patients with spondyloarthritis and psoriatic arthritis. He also participates in clinical trials evaluating the efficacy and safety of mew therapies in these types of inflammatory arthritis.
1) Rohekar S, Chan J, Tse SM, Haroon N, Chandran V, Bessette L, et al. A Brief Review of the 2014 Update on the Canadian Rheumatology Association/Spondyloarthritis Research Consortium of Canada Treatment Recommendations for the Management of Spondyloarthritis Part 1: Principles of the Management of Spondyloarthritis in Canada. J Rheumatol. 2015 Apr;42(4):654-64.
2) Rohekar S, Chan J, Tse SM, Haroon N, Chandran V, Bessette L, et al. A Brief Review of the 2014 Update on the Canadian Rheumatology Association/Spondyloarthritis Research Consortium of Canada Treatment Recommendations for the Management of Spondyloarthritis Part 2: Specific Management Recommendations. J Rheumatol. 2015 Apr;42(4):665-81.
3) Chan J, Sari I, Haroon N. Sacroiliitis-like Changes in Two Patients with Spina Bifida. J Rheumatol. 2016 Mar; 43(3):673.
4) Chan J, Sari I, Salonen D, Inman RD, Haroon N. Development of a screening tool for the identification of sacroiliitis in CT scans of the abdomen. J Rheumatol. 2016; 43:9
5) Chan J, Sari I, Salonen D, Silverberg MS, Haroon N, Inman RD. Prevalence of sacroiliitis in inflammatory bowel disease using a standardized CT scoring system. Arthritis Care Res. 2017; July 21
6) Chan J, Gladman D. Oral treatment options for AS and PsA: DMARDs and small molecule inhibitors. Best Practice & Research Clinical Rheumatology. 2018; Sept
7) Kelly OB, Li, N, Smith M, Chan J, Inman RF, Silverberg MS. The Prevalence and Clinical Associations of Subclinical Sacroiliitis in Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2019; 25 (6): 1066-1071
8) Avina-Zubieta J, Chan J, De Vera M, Sayre E, Choi HK, Esdaile JM. The risk of venous thromboembolism in ankylosing spondylitis: a general population-based study. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases 2019; 78:480-485
9) Huang S, Chan J, Bruyere H, Allan LL, Gerrie AS, Toze CL. Chronic lymphocytic leukemia patients with HLA-B27 referred for allogenic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation do not have worse outcomes: results of a population-based series analysis in British Columbia, Canada. Leukemia Research. 2019 Jul;84:106193
- Assessment of Spondyloarthritis international Society (ASAS) research fellowship grant 2015
- Spondyloarthritis Research Consortium of Canada (SPARCC) pilot project program 2018
- Spondyloarthritis Research & Treatment Network (SPARTAN) seed grant 2018
Dr. Chan lectures on the topics of spondyloarthritis and psoriatic arthritis to medical students, residents, and fellows on an annual basis