My main goal in my research is to improve preventive health interventions in older adults. I am trying to discover new ways to prevent falls due to fainting, and to improve overall cardiovascular health in older adults through exercise. Our lab uses innovative translational techniques designed to shorten the time lag between bench research and “real world” applications.
syncope, tilt-table testing, Type 2 Diabetes, Exercise Interventions, Autonomic Nervous System, translational physiology
My main area of research is in studying the ability of exercise interventions to improve cardiovascular health in older adults with Type 2 diabetes, and the use of exercise prescriptions to prevent fainting-related falls. I have also done extensive work on age and disease-related changes in autonomic nervous system function.
- Madden KM, Lockhart C, Potter T, Cuff D. Short-term aerobic exercise reduces nitroglycerin-induced orthostatic intolerance in older adults with Type 2 Diabetes, Journal of CV Pharm. 57(6):666-671, 2011.
- Gormin KM, Chudyk A, Madden KM, Ashe M. Bone health and Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: a systematic review. Physiotherapy Canada. 63(1):8-20, 2011.
- Madden KM, Lockhart C, Potter TF, Cuff D. Aerobic training restores arterial baroreflex sensitivity in older adults with type 2 diabetes, hypertension, and hypercholesterolemia. Clin J Sport Med. 20(4):312-7, 2010.t
- Madden KM. Interval versus continuous exercise training in hypertensive patients. Hypertension Research. 33(6):544-545, 2010. [Electronic publication ahead of print doi:10.1038/hr.2010.54- first published: April 30, 2010].
- Madden KM, Tedder G, Lockhart C. Arterial Stiffness and the Response to Carotid Sinus Massage in Older Adults. J Clin Exp Gerontol. 22(1):36-41, 2010
- Halaschek-Wiener J, Amirabbasi-Beik M, Monfared N, Pieczyk M, Sailer C, Kollar A, Thomas R, Agalaridis G, Yamada S, Oliveira L, Collins JA, Meneilly G, Marra MA, Madden KM, Le ND, Connors JM, Brooks-Wilson AR. Genetic variation in healthy oldest-old. PLoS One. 4(8):e6641, 2009.
- Rhynold E, Lockhart C, Liu-Ambrose T, Madden KM. Increasing Arterial Stiffness is Associated with Cognitive Dysfunction. Canadian Journal of Geriatrics, Volume 12(2):24-29, 2009.
- Madden KM, Lockhart C, Cuff D, Potter TF, Meneilly GS. Short-term Aerobic Exercise Reduces Arterial Stiffness in Older Adults with Type 2 Diabetes, Hypertension and Hypercholesterolemia. Diabetes Care 32(8):1531-5, 2009.
- Madden KM, Lockhart C. Arterial baroreflex function in older adults with neurocardiogenic syncope, Clinical Investigative Medicine 32(3):E191-E198, 2009.
- Madden KM. Orthostatic Hypotension due to Antihypertensive agents. Geriatrics and Aging 12(5): 254-258, 2009.
- Kenneth M. Madden, Gale Tedder, Chris Lockhart, Graydon S. Meneilly. Hyperinsulinemia Unmasks Orthostatic Intolerance in Older Adults With Type 2 Diabetes, Diabetes Care 31(11):2203-8, 2008
- 6 continuous years of funding from the Canadian Instututes of Health Research.
- Departmental Scholar Award (2002 and 2004)