Dr. Chi’s research is focused in the area of genitourinary cancers with a special interest in prostate cancer and investigational new drugs. He has held peer reviewed grant funding from the Canada Institutes of Health Research (CHIR), National Cancer Institute of Canada (NCIC)/Canadian Cancer Society (CCS), The U.S. Department of Defense, Prostate Cancer Canada, and Prostate Cancer Foundation (US). Nationally and internationally, he has led, co-led, and co-authored a number of multi-centre phase I,II and III clinical trials, including trials that have led to changes in standard clinical practice. More recently, Dr. Chi has been evaluating the analysis of circulating tumour DNA (ctDNA)as a prognostic and predictive biomarker for patients with castration resistant prostate cancer (CRPC), and as a tool for a precision medicine approach.
Dr. Chi is the Regional Medical Director (RMD) of the BC Cancer – Vancouver Centre (BCC-VC). This is the largest Cancer Centre in British Columbia and a tertiary referral centre with an academic focus. At the BC Cancer, Dr. Chi is also the Provincial Director for Clinical Research. Dr. Chi is also the Chair of the Genitourinary Disease Site for the Canadian Cancer Trials Group (CCTG). This group is responsible for developing, undertaking, organizing and coordinating the genitourinary trials undertaken by investigators at a national cooperative group.
1. Ian F. Tannock, Ronald De Wit, William R. Berry, Istvan Bodrogi, Kim N. Chi, Stephane Oudard, Christine Theodore, Nicholas D. James, Ingela Turesson, Mark Rosenthal, Mario A. Eisenberger. Randomized Comparison of weekly or three-weekly Docetaxel plus Prednisone with Mitoxantrone plus Prednisone for Treatment of Patients with Advanced Hormone-Resistant Prostate cancer. New England Journal of Medicine 2004;351(15):1502-1512. PMID: 15470213
2. Chi KN. Hotte SJ. Yu EY. Tu D. Eigl BJ. Tannock I. Saad F. North S. Powers J. Gleave ME. Eisenhauer EA. Randomized phase II study of docetaxel and prednisone with or without OGX-011 in patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer. Journal of Clinical Oncology.2010 Sep;28(27):4247-54. PMID: 20733135
3. de Bono JS. Logothetis CJ. Molina A. Fizazi K. North S. Chu L. Chi KN. Jones RJ. Goodman OB Jr. Saad F. Staffurth JN. Mainwaring P. Harland S. Flaig TW. Hutson TE. Cheng T. Patterson H. Hainsworth JD. Ryan CJ. Sternberg CN. Ellard SL. Flechon A. Saleh M. Scholz M. Efstathiou E. Zivi A. Bianchini D. Loriot Y. Chieffo N. Kheoh T. Haqq CM. Scher HI. Abiraterone and increased survival in metastatic prostate cancer. New England Journal of Medicine. 364(21):1995-2005, 2011. PMID: 21612468
4. K. N. Chi, E. Beardsley, B. J. Eigl, P. Venner, S. J. Hotte, E. Winquist, Y.-J. Ko, S. S. Sridhar, D. Weber, F. Saad. A phase 2 study of patupilone in patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer previously treated with docetaxel: Canadian Urologic Oncology Group study P07a. Annals of Oncology 2012;23(1):53-58. PMID: 21765178
5. Beardsley EK, Hotte SJ, North S, Ellard SL, Winquist E, Kollmannsberger C, Mukherjee SD, Chi KN. A phase II study of sorafenib in combination with bicalutamide in patients with chemotherapy-naive castration resistant prostate cancer. Investigational New Drugs. 30(4):1652-9, 2012. PMID: 21785998
6. Chi KN. Gleave ME. Fazli L. Goldenberg SL. So A. Kollmannsberger C. Murray N. Tinker A. Pollak M. A phase II pharmacodynamic study of preoperative figitumumab in patients with localized prostate cancer. Clinical Cancer Research. 18(12):3407-13, 2012. PMID: 22553344
7. Scher HI, Fizazi K, Saad F, Taplin ME, Sternberg CN, Miller MD, de Wit R, Mulders P, Chi KN, Shore ND, Armstrong AJ, Flaig TW, Fléchon A, Mainwaring P, Fleming M, Hainsworth JD, Hirmand M, Selby B, Seely L, de Bono JS; the AFFIRM Investigators. Increased Survival with Enzalutamide in Prostate Cancer after Chemotherapy. New England Journal of Medicine. 367(13):1187-97, 2012. PMID: 22894553
8. Azad AA, Volik SV, Wyatt AW, Haegert A, Le Bihan S, Bell RH, Anderson SA, McConeghy B, Shukin R, Bazov J, Youngren J, Paris P, Thomas G, Small EJ, Wang Y, Gleave ME, Collins CC, Chi KN. Androgen Receptor Gene Aberrations in Circulating Cell-Free DNA: Biomarkers of Therapeutic Resistance in Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2015 May 15;21(10):2315-24. PMID: 25712683
9. Chi KN, Kheoh T, Ryan CJ, Molina A, Bellmunt J, Vogelzang NJ, Rathkopf DE, Fizazi K, Kantoff PW, Li J, Azad AA, Eigl BJ, Heng DYC, Joshua AM, de Bono JS, Scher HI. A prognostic index model for predicting overall survival in patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer treated with abiraterone acetate after docetaxel. Ann Oncol. 2016 Mar;27(3):454-60.
10. Daniel P. Petrylak, Andrea Eisen, Christina Canil, Srikala S Sridhar, Alex Spira, Jenny J. Kim, David I Quinn, Shande Tang, Hui Zhang, Christopher T. Cavanaugh, Ling Gao, John S. Kauh, Richard A. Walgren, Kim N Chi. Docetaxel monotherapy or combined with ramucirumab or icrucumab in second-line locally advanced or metastatic urothelial carcinoma: an open-label, three-arm, randomized controlled phase II trial. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2016 May; 34(13): 1500-1509.
11. Chi KN, Yu EY, Jacobs C, Bazov J, Kollmannsberger C, Higano CS, Mukherjee SD, Gleave ME, Stewart PS, Hotte SJ. A Phase 1 Dose-Escalation Study of Apatorsen (OGX-427), an Antisense Inhibitor Targeting Heat Shock Protein 27 (Hsp27), in Patients with Castration Resistant Prostate Cancer and Other Advanced Cancers. Annals of Oncology. 2016 Jun;27(6):1116-22.
12. Alexander W Wyatt, Arun A Azad, Stanislav V Volik, Matti Annala, Kevin Beja, Brian McConeghy, Anne Haegert, Evan W Warner, Fan Mo, Sonal Brahmbhatt, Robert Shukin, Stephane Le Bihan, Martin E Gleave, Matti Nykter, Colin C Collins, Kim N Chi. Genomic alterations in cell-free DNA and enzalutamide resistance in castration-resistant prostate cancer. JAMA Oncology. 2016 Dec 1;2(12):1598-1606. PMID: 27148695
13. Todenhöfer T, Azad A, Stewart C, Gao J, Eigl BJ, Gleave ME, Joshua AM, Black PC, Chi KN. AR-V7 transcripts in whole blood RNA of patients with metastatic castration resistant prostate cancer correlate with response to Abiraterone acetate. J Urol. 2017 Jan;197(1):135-142. doi: 10.1016/j.juro.2016.06.094. Epub 2016 Jul 17. PMID: 27436429.
14. Annala M, Struss WJ, Warner EW, Beja K, Vandekerkhove G, Wong A, Khalaf D, Seppälä IL, So A, Lo G, Aggarwal R, Small EJ, Nykter M, Gleave ME, Chi KN, Wyatt AW. Treatment Outcomes and Tumor Loss of Heterozygosity in Germline DNA Repair-deficient Prostate Cancer. European urology. 2017; PubMed [journal] PMID: 28259476
15. Chi KN, Higano CS, Blumenstein B, Ferrero JM, Reeves J, Feyerabend S, Gravis G, Merseburger AS, Stenzl A, Bergman AM, Mukherjee SD, Zalewski P, Saad F, Jacobs C, Gleave M, de Bono JS. Custirsen in combination with docetaxel and prednisone for patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (SYNERGY trial): a phase 3, multicentre, open-label, randomised trial. The Lancet. Oncology. 2017; PubMed [journal] PMID: 28283282
16. Fizazi K, Tran N, Fein L, Matsubara N, Rodriguez-Antolin A, Alekseev BY, Özgüroğlu M, Ye D, Feyerabend S, Protheroe A, De Porre P, Kheoh T, Park YC, Todd MB, Chi KN; LATITUDE Investigators. Abiraterone plus Prednisone in Metastatic, Castration-Sensitive Prostate Cancer. N Engl J Med. 2017 Jun 4. PMID: 28578607.
17. Wyatt AW, Annala M, Aggarwal R, Beja K, Feng F, Youngren J, Foye A, Lloyd P, Nykter M, Beer TM, Alumkal JJ, Thomas GV, Reiter RE, Rettig MB, Evans CP, Gao AC, Chi KN, Small EJ, Gleave ME. Concordance of Circulating Tumor DNA and Matched Metastatic Tissue Biopsy in Prostate Cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2017 Dec 1;109(12). PMID: 29206995
18. Chi KN, Protheroe A, Rodríguez-Antolín A, Facchini G, Suttman H, Matsubara N, Ye Z, Keam B, Damião R, Li T, McQuarrie K, Jia B, De Porre P, Martin J, Todd MB, Fizazi K. Patient-reported outcomes following abiraterone acetate plus prednisone added to androgen deprivation therapy in patients with newly diagnosed metastatic castration-naive prostate cancer (LATITUDE): an international, randomised phase 3 trial. Lancet Oncol. 2018 Jan 8. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 29326030.
19. Annala M, Vandekerkhove G, Khalaf D, Taavitsainen S, Beja K, Warner EW, Sunderland K, Kollmannsberger C, Eigl BJ, Finch D, Oja CD, Vergidis J, Zulfiqar M, Azad AA, Nykter M, Gleave ME, Wyatt AW, Chi KN. Circulating tumor DNA genomics correlate with resistance to abiraterone and enzalutamide in prostate cancer. Cancer Discov. 2018 Jan 24.[Epub ahead of print] PMID: 29367197.