Dr. Pimstone is an internal medicine specialist (FRCPC, UBC, 2001) with an interest in cardiovascular disease. He serves as a consultant physician at the UBC Medical and Cardiology Clinic at UBC Hospital in Vancouver. He is a founder and co-PI of the Study to Avoid cardioVascular Events in BC (SAVE BC), a provincial program for families with very premature atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease. He is also a founder, Director, and Chief Executive Officer at Xenon Pharmaceuticals Inc. (Nasdaq: XENE). Xenon is a clinical stage biopharmaceutical company committed to developing innovative therapeutics to improve the lives of patients with neurological disorders, including rare central nervous system (CNS) conditions.
Dr. Pimstone has previously served as Chair of the Providence Healthcare Research Institute, Director of the Providence Healthcare Board, Chair of Lifesciences BC, vice-chair of BIOTECanada, Director of the UBC Centre for Molecular Medicine and Therapeutics and of the PROOF Centre of Excellence.
- Vikulova Diana N, Grubisic Maja, Zhao Yinshan, Lynch Kelsey, Humphries Karin, Pimstone Simon N, Brunham Liam R. Premature Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease: Trends in Incidence, Risk Factors, and Sex-Related Differences, 2000 to 2016. J Am Heart Assoc, 2019 Jul; 8(14):e012178. doi: 10.1161/JAHA.119.012178. Epub 2019 Jul 8.
- Cho Raymond Y, Weng Jian, Lynch Kelsey, Ng Phoebe, Brown Chad, Hoens Alison M, Barry Kevin, Brunham Liam R, Pimstone Simon. Priorities for Services in Young Patients With Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease and Their Family Members: An Exploratory Mixed-Methods Study. CJC Open, 2019 Feb; 1(3): 107 – 114. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cjco.2019.02.003.
- Brunham Liam R, Lynch Kelsey, English Amy, Sutherland Rory, Weng Jian, Cho Raymond, Wong, Graham C, Anis Aslam H, Francis Gordon A, Khan Nadia A, Manus Bruce, Wood David, Walley Keith R, Leipsic Jonathon, Humphries Karin H, Krahn Andrew D, Mancini G B John, Pimstone Simon. The Design and Rationale of SAVE BC: The Study to Avoid Vascular Events in British Columbia. Clin Cardiol. 2018 Jul; 41(7): 888-895. doi: 10.1002/clc.22959. Epub 2018 Jun 11.
- Price Nicola, Namdari Rostam, Neville Judith, Proctor Katie JW, Kaber Samer, Vest Jeffery, Fetell Michael, Malamut Richard, Sherrington Robin, Pimstone Simon N, Goldberg Yigal P. Safety and Efficacy of a Topical Sodium Channel Inhibitor (TV-45070) in Patients with Post Herpetic Neuralgia (PHN): A Randomized, Controlled, Proof-of-Concept, Crossover Study, With a Subgroup Analysis of the Nav1.7 R1150W Genotype. Clin J Pain. 2017 April; 33 (4): 310–318.
- Mayosi Bongani M., Fish Maryam, Shaboodien Gasnat, Mastantuono Elisa, Kraus Sarah, Wieland Thomas, Kotta Maria-Christina, Chin Ashley, Laing Nakita, Ntusi Ntobeko BA, Chong Michael, Horsfall Christopher, Pimstone Simon N, Gentilini Davide, Parati Gianfranco, Strom Tim-Matthias, Meitinger Thomas, Pare Guillaume, Schwartz Peter J, Crotti Lia. Identification of Cadherin 2 (CDH2) Mutations in Arrhythmogenic Right Ventricular Cardiomyopathy. Circulation: Cardiovascular Genetics. 2017 March 8; 10:e001605.
- Sutherland Rory, Pimstone Simon, Lynch Kelsey, English Amy, Brunham Liam. SAVE BC: The Study to Avoid cardioVascular Events in British Columbia: A Longitudinal Study of Families with Very Premature Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease in British Columbia. BCMJ; 2017 March, 59 (2): 130-131.
- CIHR (2019 for 5 years)
- Genome BC – User Partnership Program (2017 for 2 years)
- CIHR (2017 for 1 year)
- Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute (2016 to 2019)
- Providence Healthcare Research Institute (2016 to 2019)
- Amgen Canada Inc – Investigator Initiated Research Grant (2016 for 1 year)
- St Paul’s Hospital Foundation – Investigator Initiated Research Grant (2015 for 2 years)
- Merck & Co. – Investigator Initiated Research Grant (2015 for 2 years)
- VGH and UBC Hospital Foundation – Investigator Initiated Research Grant (2015 for 1 year)
- Rx&D Health Research Foundation – Partnerships for Patients (2015 for 2 years)
- Sanofi-Aventis – Investigator Initiated Research Grant (2015 for 1 year)
- Heart and Stroke Foundation of BC and Yukon – Knowledge to Action Grant (2015 for 1 year)
Since 2017, I have overseen six medical and doctoral students.