My research program focus on identifing strategies to diminish the gap in the delivery of care to those afflicted by HIV and HCV in British Columbia and around the world.
HIV/AIDS Clinical and General Epidemiology, HCV Clinical and General Epidemiology, Biostatistics , Mathematical Modelling, Health Services Research and Population Health.
Through my ongoing national and international collaborations and my research grants, I plan to create a unique three-branch based on different analytical approaches, including:
(1) Biostatistical methods to analyze health services delivery data and clinical data;
(2) Disease mapping methods to analyse spatio-temporal trends in disease morbidity and mortality; and
(3) Mathematical models of disease progression and transmission.
This program will definitely create great research opportunities and it will provide a new setting in BC where trainees will be supported across a variety of disciplinary and methodological backgrounds, further enhancing BC’s competitive advantage in population-health research.
To this end, I currently have research funds to support students (undergraduate medical and graduate level) interested in working in the areas of HIV, Health Services Research and HCV.
I am situated at the British Columbia Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS which is a great environment to conduct research and study. I also have an elective on Clinical Epidemiology in which undergraduate medical students can experience research in the areas mentioned above.
(Selected from over 90 peer-reviewed publications)
- Lima VD, Thirumurthy H, Kahn JG, Saavedra J, Carceres CF, Whiteside A. Modeling Scenarios for the End of AIDS. Clin Infec Dis. 2014 [accepted].
- Lima VD, Sierra-Madero J, Wu Z, Singer J, Wood E, Hull MW, Harrigan PR, Montaner JSG. Comparing the efficacy of efavirenz and boosted lopinavir using viremia copy-years. J Int AIDS Soc. 2014. [accepted]
- Grebely J, Lima VD, Milloy MJ, DeBeck K, Marshall BDL, Montaner J, Simo A, Krajden M, Dore GJ, Kerr T, Wood E. Declining incidence of hepatitis C virus infection among people who inject drugs in a Canadian setting, 1996-2012. PLoS One 2014. [accepted]
- Leung JM, Liu JC, Mtambo A, Ngan D, Nashta N, Guillemi S, Harris M, Lima VD, Mattman A, Shaipanich T, Raju R, Hague C, Leipsic JA, Sin DD, Montaner JS, Man SF. The Determinants of Poor Respiratory Health Status in Adults Living with Human Immunodeficiency Virus Infection. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2014 Apr 17. [Epub ahead of print]
- Gonzalez-Serna A, Chan K, Yip B, Chau W, McGovern R, Samji H, Lima VD, Hogg RS, Harrigan R. Temporal trends in the discontinuation of first-line antiretroviral therapy. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2014 Apr 15. [Epub ahead of print]
- Cui Z, Grafstein E, Yip B, Hogg R, Montaner J, Lima V. Modelling clinical progression and health care utilization of HIV-positive patients in British Columbia prior to death. HIV Med. 2014 Mar 18. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lima VD, Granich R, Phillips P, Williams B, Montaner JS. Potential Impact of the US President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief on the Tuberculosis/HIV Coepidemic in Selected Sub-Saharan African Countries. J Infect Dis. 2013. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lima VD, Kerr T, Wood E, Kozai T, Salters KA, Hogg RS, Montaner JS. The effect of history of injection drug use and alcoholism on HIV disease progression. AIDS Care. 2013 Jun 14. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lima VD, Le A, Nosyk B, Barrios R, Yip B, Hogg RS, Harrigan PR, Montaner JS. Development and validation of a composite programmatic assessment tool for HIV therapy. PLoS One. 2012;7(11):e47859.
- Martin NK, Vickerman P, Grebely J, Hellard M, Hutchinson SJ, Lima VD, Foster GR, Dillon JF, Goldberg DJ, Dore GJ, Hickman M. Hepatitis C virus treatment for prevention among people who inject drugs: Modeling treatment scale-up in the age of direct-acting antivirals. Hepatology. 2013 Mar 28. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lima VD, Foster GR, Dillon JF, Goldberg DJ, Dore GJ, Hickman M. Hepatitis C virus treatment for prevention among people who inject drugs: Modeling treatment scale-up in the age of direct-acting antivirals. Hepatology. 2013 Mar 28. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lima VD, Nosyk B, Wood E, Kozai T, Zhang W, et al. Assessing the effectiveness of antiretroviral regimens in cohort studies involving HIV-positive injection drug users. AIDS. 2012 Jul 31;26(12):1491-500.
- Williams BG, Lima V, Gouws E. Modelling the Impact of Antiretroviral Therapy on the Epidemic of HIV. Curr HIV Res. 2011 Sep 1;9(6):367-82.
- Lima VD, Bangsberg DR, Harrigan PR, Deeks SG, Yip B, et al. Risk of viral failure declines with duration of suppression on highly active antiretroviral therapy irrespective of adherence level. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2010 Dec 1;55(4):460-5.
- Lima VD, Harrigan PR, Sénécal M, Yip B, Druyts E, et al. Epidemiology of antiretroviral multiclass resistance. Am J Epidemiol. 2010 Aug 15;172(4):460-8.
- Lima VD, Hogg RS, Montaner JS. Expanding HAART treatment to all currently eligible individuals under the 2008 IAS-USA Guidelines in British Columbia,Canada. PLoS One. 2010 Jun 7;5(6):e10991.
- Montaner JS, Lima VD, Barrios R, Yip B, Wood E, et al. Association of highly active antiretroviral therapy coverage, population viral load, and yearly new HIV diagnoses in British Columbia, Canada: a population-based study. Lancet. 2010 Aug 4;376(9740):532-9. 59.
- Lima VD, Fink V, Yip B, Hogg RS, Harrigan PR, Montaner JS. Association between HIV-1 RNA level and CD4 cell count among untreated HIV-infected individuals. Am J Public Health. 2009; 99 Suppl 1:S193-6. 68.
- Hogg R, Lima V, Sterne JA, Grabar S, Battegay M, Bonarek M, et al. Antiretroviral Therapy Cohort Collaboration. Life expectancy of individuals on combination antiretroviral therapy in high-income countries: a collaborative analysis of 14 cohort studies. Lancet. 2008; 372:293-9.75.
- Phillips E, Gutiérrez S, Jahnke N, Yip B, Lima VD, Hogg RS, Harrigan PR, Montaner JSG. Determinants of Nevirapine Hypersensitivity and its Effect on the Association between Hepatitis C Status and Mortality in Naïve HIV Patients. AIDS. 2008; 22(4):548-54977.
- Lima VD, Hogg RS, Montaner JSG. Presenting plasma HIV RNA level and rate of CD4 T-cell decline. JAMA. 2007; 297:805-806
- Yap SH, Sheen CW, Fahey J, Zanin M, Tyssen D, Lima VD, Kuiper M, Sluis-Cremer N, Harrigan PR, Tachedjian G. The in Vivo Mutation N348I in the Connection Domain of the HIV-1 Reverse Transcriptase Confers Resistance to Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitors. PLoS Medicine. 2007; 4(12):e335
New Investigator Award – CIHR (2013-2018)
Career Investigator Award – Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research (2012-2020)
Fellowship with the CIHR; 2007-2010
Fellowship with the Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research; 2008-2011
Young Investigator Award at the 18th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (CROI 2011).
Scholarship. XVIII International AIDS Conference (AIDS 2010).
Young Investigator Award at the 17th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (CROI 2010).
Young Investigator Award at the 16th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (CROI 2009).
Young Investigator Award at the 4th IAS (International AIDS Society) Conference on HIV Pathogenesis, Treatment and Prevention (Sydney 2007) for the Biomedical Prevention track.