The Department of Medicine Recruitment & Resources Committee was created to oversee future academic faculty recruitments within the UBC Department of Medicine while ensuring that appropriate recruitment resources are available and maximized. This committee also reviews recruitments to comply with the University’s equity policies.
Terms of Reference
- Establish departmental strategic recruitment directions.
- Establish guidelines to use existing and new recruitment resources as effectively as possible to support the department’s strategic recruitment directions.
- Publicize available resources (particularly salary support) for advanced training.
- Review divisional recruitment plans yearly.
- Evaluate the alignment of each new potential recruit against the divisional recruitment plans and the strategic directions of the department. Assist in the formulation divisional recruitment plans, advertisement, recruitment checklist, job descriptions. Evaluate the justifications by the division if recruitment is not included in division recruitment plan.
- Evaluate appropriateness of resources allocated to the recruitment using the completed FRR (Faculty Recruiting Request form)
- Ensure the search process was fair and equitable.
- Review all new investigator/salary award applications and evaluate against the division’s recruitment plans and funding availability.
- Deal with extraordinary, “star” recruitment outside the division plans
Recruits Career Progress:
- Ensure that new recruits’ career paths are delineated. In particular, ensure faculty member has appropriate time distribution to meet academic output expectations.
- Review written reports from Division Heads, mentors, and the Department Head on the new recruit’s performance at 6 months, 1 year and 2 years from the appointment date.
- One member from the Mentoring Committee will attend the yearly career review meeting of the faculty member.
- Report back to the faculty member after the yearly review meeting.
- Work collaboratively with the research community to identify potential new recruitments.
- Work to hire the best and brightest residents and trainees within our programs.
- Work with other departments within our faculty on joint appointments.
Mandate and Role
The committee will meet monthly and on an ad-hoc basis where required. The committee will be supported by Faculty Hires and Promotions Manager.
- The Chair and Deputy Chair will remain on the Committee indefinitely.
- All other members will be appointed for a three year term.
- Incoming members will be appointed by the Chair after discussion with the members of the Committee.
- Chair – UBC Department Head (1)
- Deputy Chair – UBC Associate Head at St. Paul’s Hospital (1)
- Committee Members – Division Heads or Professors in department (2)
- Member at Large from Department (1)
- Appointee (s) from outside the Department (1)
- Human Resources Manager or designate (1)
- Finance Manager or designate (1)
- Ad Hoc Members: A representative from the Department of Medicine Equity Committee (1);
- The relevant Institute Director (1); mentoring committee (1)
Recruitment & Resources Committee Members as of June 2020
|Dr. M. Fitzgerald||Respiratory Medicine||Professor|
|Dr. D. Lacaille||Rheumatology||Chair; Professor and Associate Head, Academic Affairs|
|Dr. A. Levin||Nephrology||Professor and Head, Division of Nephrology|
|Dr. G. Meneilly||Geriatric Medicine||Professor and Head, VA Department of Medicine|
|Dr. A. Palepu||General Internal Medicine||Eric W. Hamber Professor and Chair of Medicine|
|Dr. J. Stoessl||Neurology||Professor and Head, Division of Neurology|
|Dr. A. Townson||Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation||Clinical Professor and Associate Head, Education|
|Dr. T. Tsang||Cardiology||Professor and Associate Head, Research|
|J. Zhang||Administration||Faculty Hires and Promotions Manager|